Sunday, February 24, 2019

Are you tired of seeing my same ol' pile of red scraps yet?

Well then, lucky for you, they are almost gone....

I love making Dresden Plate blocks, they are super easy, fun and very forgiving.
I used this ruler but you can certainly make your own pattern.


This is not a tutorial on the Dresden Plate.
There are many tutorials and printable patterns out there for the Dresden blocks, therefore, I won't bore you with another.

I cut a total of 25 pieces, but found I only needed 20 for my 12" Dresden Plate.
  I was able to stitch them quickly by chain piecing them.


Depending on the size of your "blades" and the size of your overall block you may need to cut more or less pieces.

After turning and pressing, I lined the blades up in the order I wanted to sew them.


Once all your pieces are sewn together you need to choose a base to pin them to.
I chose a pretty little polka dot fabric.
For the base I made a quilt sandwich using my polka dot fabric for the top, batting for the center and a backing fabric... all cut roughly 3 inches larger than my Dresden Plate.
Since this was not going to be an actual quilt and the back was not going to be seen, I chose muslin for my backing.


I then pinned my Dresden to my base fabric, batting and backing and used my 1/4 inch foot and stitched them in place.
Once my blades were all stitched down, I then stitched the center circle in place.


I squared up my block making it approximately 15 1/2 inches square.


Now I'm ready for binding...
I stitched it to the front, folded it to the back and mitered the corners.


I did try out my new binding tool .
It's pretty handy, but I found measuring my old way was just as quick and easy.


A word of caution if you purchase The Binding Tool...
It comes in two sizes, one for larger quilts and one for small wall hangings, rug mugs, table runners, etc.
I thought I could just purchase the larger one and use it for both...nope, it's not that easy because of it's size. The larger one is too big to measure the smaller projects. 

Anyhow, here is my completed project.
Looking at it now, I wish I would have done some quilting on the polka dot fabric.
Maybe the next one...


Because I wasn't exactly sure how many "blades" I would need for my original block, I ended up making 5 too many and you know me....
 Had to find some way to use those few leftover pieces.


Another rug mug, of course!

You will be happy to know I am running out of that same ol' fabric you've seen for weeks now.
If you notice, I didn't quite have enough left and had to piece my binding on this mug rug.

Now I'm on to another pile of scraps!
😊


Linking today to:

2 comments:

Kathy E. said...

Such fun ways to use up pretty scraps! I have yet to make a Dresden Plate, but really want to jump in and get hooked! Beautiful pieces!

FlyAwayHome said...

Thanks Kathy E. Yes, you need to jump in and yes you WILL get hooked! lol