Thursday, February 28, 2019

A gift for a friend

A few weeks ago one of my closest friends visited from Georgia and brought me wonderful handmade gifts made by herself and her daughter.
I love handmade.
 I know how much time and love goes into handmade.
Teresa made this beautiful Vanilla Lemon scented candle.

So pretty...

Heather (her daughter) owns a goat farm in Tennessee and makes this yummy Orange Hand Scrub.


My house feels like a spa :-)

While Teresa was visiting she noticed a few of my mug rugs and said she had never heard of a mug rug.
I took that as an opportunity to make her one!

These little mug rugs are a quick afternoon project, but it always takes me forever to decide on the design, fabric, etc.
After I have chosen the design and fabric it goes together quickly.


Even hand stitching the binding on the back doesn't take long.


I feel like hand stitching your binding looks much neater.


Sometimes machine stitching in the ditch from the front is a guessing game to see if you have caught the binding in the back and it tends to look a little messy to me.


I don't always hand stitch my binding.
Depending on what I am making, I might choose to stitch the binding to the back first and then stitch it down on the front using a zig zag stitch or a decorative stitch.



I mailed it to her and she is already using it!


I sent her a note with it that said "A mug rug - just enough room for a drink and a snack".

Hummmmm…
Wonder which one is her drink and which one is her snack???
😂


Linking today to:
http://www.myquiltinfatuation.com/
https://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/


6 comments:

Amber said...

I love a mug rug! I made many for Christmas and I love the detail on yours!

FlyAwayHome said...

Thank you Amber. They are really fun to make. Just checked out your blog. Thanks for visiting it brought me to a new fun blog!

Anonymous said...

That mug rug is adorable! Glad your friend is already putting it to good use.

FlyAwayHome said...

Thank you Michelle. I love it when you make something for someone and they ACTUALLY use it!!! Thanks for visiting.

Debbie said...

Love it!

FlyAwayHome said...

Thanks, Debbie!