Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Wrapped in history

I woke this morning to 43 degree weather.
I know for some of you that would be balmy, but I'm a Florida gal and it's freezing to us.
This got me thinking about the women in my family who hand quilted blankets out of necessity - not hobby.
 Aren't these pretty?


We inherited these when my mother and mother-in-law passed away. 
All hand made by my mother, my grandmother, my mother-in-law and both Mr. Fisherman's grandmothers.
Some have been well loved over the years and are tattered and torn.

Doesn't make them any less beautiful to me...

4 comments:

pbrenner said...

I hear you on the cold - I'm a Texas gal, so we do get colder than Florida, but I'm much happier when it's over 80 degrees, lol. I have one quilt that my grandmother made probably 80-90 years ago. I treasure it, even though it has a few tatters. I have a few other old quilts I've picked up at auctions. They weren't expensive because they were a little worn and there was nothing 'special' about their designs or quilting. I love snuggling under them though, and silently thank the women who spent all the time creating them; I hope they're smiling because someone still treasures them. Stay warm!

Debbie said...

<3 Love, love, love

FlyAwayHome said...

pbrenner, Don't you wonder how anyone can let them go to auctions? Those handmade quilts are so precious. I know these ladies are smiling. They would be happy someone like you, who understands the love that went into their quilts uses and treasures them.

pbrenner said...

It is definitely sad to see family treasures auctioned off, even though I've benefited. I furnished my house almost completely from local auctions (I did buy a new mattress, lol). I'm afraid that my stuff will just go to auction someday too: I only have one son, and he is definitely not interested in my 'old junk'. But perhaps he will marry someone who is :-)