Monday, July 22, 2013

Mason jars -not just for canning anymore.


 
I love Mason jars, especially the old ones.
 
 
 Unfortunately, I have no antique jars, but I do have cases of the new ones - all different sizes.
I love to see all the creative ideas people come up with using Mason jars.
 
In the photo below, I am using the larger jars to hold candles on my fireplace mantel.
I'm using rice to hold my candles in place however, I have used sand or dried beans in them also.
 


Notice the old wooden box they are sitting in?
It's actually a new box made to look old like the ones I have posted here.
Mr. Fisherman made them for me last year from leftover scraps from another project.
I love them. I can switch out the contents and make them look totally different. 
 
Okay, back to the Mason jars.
I searched the web and found oodles of creative ways to use and decorate with all different sizes
 of Mason jars.
Here are just a few ideas:
 
First up is from my blogging buddy, Terri at Fresh Cut Flours.
 
Isn't it beautiful....
 
You can check Terri's post out here and see how it's done.
~
What about some pretty storage in the ladies room.
 
 
Jenn at http://www.cleanandscentsible.com/ has not only transformed these jars into what looks like antique, but found a creative way to use them.
Jenn's Bathroom Storage Jars can be seen here.
~
Here's a new idea I had not seen before from Plathsadventures.
Who knew a Parmesan cheese lid would fit a Mason jar?
 
DSC_0190web
~
This is a great idea for a picnic or party from Kimba at A Soft Place.
How convenient; your glass, flatware and napkin all in one!
 
Check it out here.
~
I am sooooo gonna try this next one...
Mason Jar Pies from Kate at Foodbabbles.
 
Post image for Mason Jar Pies… A Little Bit Of Heaven!
Aren't they the cutest things!
Your own little pie.
You can find the recipe and all the instructions here.
~
How convenient would this next one be?
Scoop your ice cream out in serving size BEFORE the party - no mad rush cutting cake AND scooping ice cream.
 
What a great idea!
You can read about this and Jessica's other fun party ideas here at Pen N' Paperflowers.
~
I know everyone has seen this idea by now, but it's just so darn cute, I wanted to show it again.
This photo is courtesy of Country Living and can be seen here with all the instructions.
 
~
Another - Who Knew?
I had no idea you could use a Mason jar with your blender, did you?
 
Mayonnaise jar used for blending
 
Real Simple shows you how here.
~
The ideas just keep getting better...
 
Now, this gal really has it all together!
 
DSC01202-002
 
RobinSue from Big Red Kitchen shows you how to make and store Mason jar meals.
You can see her posts (part 1 and part 2) starting  here.

These were just a few of the thousands of ideas I found using or recycling Mason jars.
Do you have any new or unique ways to use Mason jars?
E-mail me or send me your link, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks Terri, Jenn, Kimba, Kate, Jessica and RobinSue.


Linking today to:
http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/
http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
http://mothersniche.com/ 

9 comments:

Terri said...

Thanks for the shout out, Lucy! I too have a fetish for mason jars (and scrabble tiles, remember?).

I have done a couple of the "pump" jars for my laundry room, but I still haven't found a good way to permanently attach the pump to the lid...not sure there is a good way!

Love seeing everyone's cute uses for the jars...tfs!

Debbie said...

*Who knew a Parmesan cheese lid would fit a Mason jar?* You could put flour in the jar and then it would make it 'cleaner' when making pie crusts and biscuits! Just 'sprinkle' the flour instead of it flying everywhere!! Ok, maybe that's just me BUT I still think it could be a good idea :) Oh, and how about cinammon and sugar when making cinammon rolls?

FlyAwayHome said...

Whoa!!!! Who knew.... my best bud Debbie was soooooo smart! Great idea Deb!

Anonymous said...

OMG !!!
As I read this Blog Post I am terrified that when I come home from work today that there might be an entire PALLET of Mason Jars to do SOMETHING with !!! HELP !!!

Sandy said...

I made some solar lights out of Mason jars - here is my post about it:

http://sandysewz.blogspot.com/2013/06/easy-summer-project-to-brighten-up-your.html

Unknown said...

I use the newer mason jars as glasses for the summer - the extras I have that is - but I will be keeping an eye out for the older ones now that you've brought to my attention how beautiful they can be.

Pen + Paper Flowers said...

Fabulous ideas you've shared! So glad to be included in your round up! I was especially taken by the idea of using mason jars with a blender. Craziness! Love the ideas here - thanks for sharing and again for including my little Ice Cream in a jar idea!

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

What a great roundup of Mason jar uses! I love yours with the candles in them! Thanks for sharing this at our All Things Thursday Blog Hop! I hope you'll link up more great ideas at this week's party that goes live tonight at 8pm central!
Blessings,
Nici

Robin said...

Thank you so much for the shout out! I am enjoying all these ideas- such fun. I think I need more jars;)